Google's team blog for the Ragnar Relay Northwest Passage

July 20-21st 2012 Google's 6th year at the Ragnar Relay Northwest Passage! This is a two day, 190 mile relay race from the northern tip of Washington in Blaine, through farm country and along the coast, across Deception Pass and finishing at the southern end of Whidbey Island at Langley. This isn't your average team offsite!

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Bonk!

So, after finishing up my 3 legs I volunteered to run Wei's final leg since he had picked up a knee injury. It was a 7 miler with a couple of steep climbs but I felt pretty good about it since it was easier than my last leg and I had felt pretty comfortable doing that one.
I started out strong and was feeling pretty good until somewhere after the 5 mile mark. That's when I suddenly and abruptly lost energy, I started feeling dizzy and I didn't have any strength in my legs. I was able to continue running for another mile and a half or so and then I had to walk the last half mile. I made it to the exchange with Joe and promptly crashed. I lay down by the side of the road and it took a huge effort of will to get back up 10 minutes later. My awesome teammates helped me to the van and fed me a steady diet of sugar and electrolytes while I tried not to pass out. I finally managed to make it back to the land of the living by the time Joe had finished his leg (well ahead of time as usual).
-amer

No comments: