Google's team blog for the Ragnar Relay Northwest Passage

July 20-21st 2012 Google's 6th year at the Ragnar Relay Northwest Passage! This is a two day, 190 mile relay race from the northern tip of Washington in Blaine, through farm country and along the coast, across Deception Pass and finishing at the southern end of Whidbey Island at Langley. This isn't your average team offsite!

Sunday, July 29, 2007

In retrospect....

Running the Ragnar with the Google Twelve team was a very memorable experience. It was a pleasure running with you, cheering with you, and getting to know you all. It is amazing what you can learn about a person after spending 24 hours together in a crowded mini-van ;)

Looking back on it, I can honestly say that despite the lack of sleep and muscle aches, that I would definitely do this again in the future. Here are a few of my favorite memories and lessons learned on this trip:

Running into downtown Bellingham along the waterfront was a great route! The sea-breeze at mile 6 was a life-saver after roasting in that afternoon sun.
Lesson: A cold shower can be an enjoyable experience...

Hanging out at exchange point 11 with both vans waiting on our commuting team-mate to beat the nasty rush-hour traffic. The team spirit prevailed and it felt good to be a part of this team.
Lesson: "Don't be evil" is a good motto to live by.

Running at midnight under the stars on a rural road was a unique experience. After electing to not use my I-pod on this leg, all I had with me were my thoughts and the sound of my feet hitting the pavement (oh, and an occasional semi-truck coming at me at 60 mph with it's bright lights on- yikes!).
Lesson: My first sighting of an "elite" runner was on this route. He passed me going so fast that I could have sworn he was on a bicycle at first. It was awe inspiring to watch him continue that 6-minute-mile pace into the distance and it made me realize for the first time that running a 6-minute-mile (even one of them!) is a goal that I would like to shoot for one day.

Seeing the finish line of my final leg (leg 30) off to a short distance to my right, then seeing a Ragnar sign pointing me to the LEFT (I could almost hear King Ragnar laughing), down a steep hill, around the corner and then coming face to face with a San-Francisco style uphill taunting me on to the finish line.

My most memorable experience though, I have to say, was having Min arrive unexpectedly to cheer me on as I crossed the finish line. She told me she wanted to be there with our baby to cross the finish line. I would have found the energy to sprint up that final hill had I known she was there at the end :)

-Joe

No comments: