Google's team blog for the Ragnar Relay Northwest Passage

July 20-21st 2012 Google's 6th year at the Ragnar Relay Northwest Passage! This is a two day, 190 mile relay race from the northern tip of Washington in Blaine, through farm country and along the coast, across Deception Pass and finishing at the southern end of Whidbey Island at Langley. This isn't your average team offsite!

Friday, July 27, 2007

Its Hot Outside!

While eating pasta in Burlington I thought back on the highlights of my run and I remember what everybody says about their run: "Its hot." This led to my stupid mistake of the day, I got early stage heat stroke. I made sure to have my asthma under wraps. I made sure that I ate early enough that it wouldn't weigh me down, but I forgot the all important amount of water that you need on a hot July day. Two bottles of water will not cut it. The heat will just suck that paltry bit of moisture from you and wring you out. My run started out good, mostly because it was in the shade. Once I took my first turn and found the wonderful world of the open road, uncovered by shade. I should have asked for a second water stop when I got to the halfway point, but I thought I wouldn't need it. By the time I got to the final third I knew I had messed up. I was starting to feel clammy and I wasn't sweating any more. To top it off, I swore I heard somebody behind me wanting to pass me by the clacking of my asthma inhaler. By the time I got to the end I was wrung out. So, I'm sitting here, eating spaghetti, recharging, to hit it again tonight. Eat, sleep, and run. So far its been quite fun

Eric Cederblom,
The now rehydrated
Google Security

No comments: